Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Sadistic Killer

Charles Chi-tat Ng – A Troubled Teen:

Charles Chi-tat Ng was born in Hong Kong on Dec. 24, 1960. His father was a wealthy executive and a strict disciplinarian. Ng was a troubled teen and was expelled from various schools. His father tried to help Ng straighten out his life by sending him to a boarding school in England where his uncle was a teacher. Not long after his arrival, he was caught stealing from his fellow classmates. When he was caught shoplifting from a local store he was expelled from school and returned to Hong Kong.Ng Comes to the United States:

At the age of 18 Ng obtained a U.S. student visa and attended Notre Dame College in California. After one semester, he dropped out and hung around until October 1979, when he was convicted in a hit-and- run automobile offense and ordered to pay restitution. Instead of paying, Ng opted to join the Marines and lied on his enlistment application by putting he was a U.S. citizen and his birthplace was Bloomington, Indiana. The military authorities believed it and enlisted him.
Ng’s Military Career – A Career Built on Lies:

After a year in the Marines, Ng had become a lance corporal but his career was cut short after a 1981 incident involving the theft of weapons stolen from an armory at the Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station in Hawaii. Ng, along with three other soldiers, stole a range of weapons including two M-16 assault rifles and three grenade launchers. Ng fled before being arrested, but was caught by military police a month later and locked up in a Marine jail in Hawaii to await trial.
Ng Does Time In Leavenworth Prison:

Almost immediately after his incarceration, Ng managed to escape from jail and fled to California. It was there that he met up with Leonard Lake and Lake’s wife, Claralyn Balasz. The three became roommates until their arrest by the FBI on weapons charges. Ng was convicted and sent to Leavenworth Prison where he served three years. Lake made bail and went into hiding in a remote cabin owned by his wife’s parents in Wilseyville, California, located at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Ng and Lake Reunite and Their Ghastly Crimes Begin:

After Ng’s release from prison, he reunited with Lake at the cabin. Shortly after the reunion, the two began living out the sexually sadistic and murderous fantasies of Lake. There seemed no barriers to who the two would murder with the list including Lake’s own brother, babies, husband and wives, and friends of Lake’s, all totaling seven men, three women and two babies. Authorities believe the number of victims murdered by the two to be much higher, with many of the dead still unidentified.
Ng’s Inept Shoplifting Skills Surface Again:

Ng’s inability to shoplift ended the pair’s torturous murder spree. Ng and Lake stopped at a lumberyard to get a replacement for a bench vise they broke when using it to torture their victims. An employee contacted police after seeing Ng shoplift a vise and place it into the pair’s car. Realizing he had been seen he took off. Lake tried to convince police it was all a misunderstanding but when one of the officers looked in the trunk of Lake’s car, he spotted a .22 revolver and a silencer.
Lake’s Lies Fail To Save Him:

Officer Wright did a check on the 1980 Honda Prelude that Lake was driving and the registration number matched to a Buick registered in the name of Lonnie Bond. Lake produced his driver’s license, and it showed he was a 26-year-old named Robin Stapley. Wright was suspicious since Lake looked considerably older than 26. He ran a check on the serial number from the gun, and it came back as being owned by Stapley. Lake was arrested for owning the illegal gun.
The End of Leonard Lake:

Lake sat handcuffed in a room at the police station. When informed that the Honda he was driving was registered to a man who had been reported missing, Lake requested a pen and paper and a glass of water. The officer obliged him and Lake scribbled a note, told the officer his and Ng’s real names, than swallowed two cyanide pills he retrieved from behind his collar. He went into convulsions and was rushed to the hospital where he remained in a comatose state until he died.
Ghastly Secrets Uncovered:

The police began to investigate Lake, figuring his suicide could be related to a more serious crime. They visited the cabin where Lake and Ng lived and immediately found bones in the cabin’s driveway. Ng was on the run as the investigators began to uncover the gruesome crimes that took place on the property. Remnants of charred body parts, corpses, bone chips, and a variety of personal belongings, weapons and videotapes were found.
Operation Miranda:

Inside the cabin’s master bedroom, police uncovered various pieces of women’s bloody lingerie. The four-poster bed had wires tied around each poster and retraints bolted into the floor. Blood was found in various places including under the mattress. Also discovered was Lake’s diary where he detailed the various acts of torture, rape and murder that he and Ng had performed on their victims in what he referred to as, ‘Operation Miranda.’
Operation Miranda was a confusing fantasy that Lake created that centered on the end of the world and his need to dominate women who would eventually become his sexual slaves. Ng became a partner to his fantasy and the two began trying to turn it into some kind of demented and sick reality.

On the property, investigators found a bunker that was partially built into a hillside. Inside the bunker were three rooms, two that were hidden. The first hidden room contained various tools and a sign with the words “The Miranda” hanging on the wall. The second hidden room was a 3 x7 cell with a bed, chemical commode, table, one-way mirror, constraints, no light, and was wired for sound. The room was designed so that at anytime the inhabitant could be watched and heard from the outer room.

On videotapes found by police, two women at separate times were shown bound, taunted with knives by Ng, and threatened by Lake with death if they failed to concede to being sexual slaves. One woman was forced to strip, then later raped. The other woman had her clothing cut away by Ng. She begged for information about her baby but eventually gave in to the pair’s demands after they threatened her life and the life of her baby if she didn’t cooperate. Complete details of what the tapes revealed to the investigators was never disclosed.Report: Sadistic Killer Lesbians Shared Blood Lust
They drugged, bludgeoned and strangled their 16-year-old victim to death then they knelt over her lifeless, bloody body to kiss before dumping her in a wheelbarrow.
The horrific murder of Stacey Mitchell has attracted national headlines in Australia but questions remain as to why her roommates of only four days, Valerie Page Parashumti and Jessica Ellen Stasinowsky, violently attacked and killed the former Leeming High schoolgirl.
Supreme Court justice Peter Blaxell sentenced Parashumti, 19, and Stasinowsky, 21, to 24 years in jail each.
Blaxell said the “particularly horrifying and shocking” crime was devoid of a substantial motive.
“You have each had more than a year in custody to reflect upon the evilness of your crime yet you still lack remorse and obviously place no value on the sanctity of human life,” he said. “There is also the added problem that you each enjoy being sexually aroused by the infliction of violence.”
Stasinowsky and Parashumti, who had been together just a month, have offered no explanation or motive for the killing other than that Stacey “annoyed” them.

One theory put to the court was that the couple appeared obsessed with proving their love for each other.
Both pleaded guilty last November to one count each of willful murder but they still do not seem to understand the gravity of their crime.
Court hearings have been punctuated with laughter, smirking and smiling.
Even during sentencing submissions in January, the couple was told twice by Blaxell to stop their light-hearted behavior as the graphic details of the crime were read.
Stacey was killed in the early hours of Dec. 18, 2006, at the Lathlain house she shared with Parashumti and Stasinowsky after running away from home 11 days earlier.
She moved in during the evening on Dec. 14, but told her parents the day before she was killed that she wanted to return home.
Police found her body four days later, upside down, in a wheelbarrow in a shed at the back of the house.
Prosecutor Dave Dempster described the killing as a sustained attack that lasted at least half an hour. He has demanded strict-security imprisonment — a non-parole period of at least 20 to 30 years.
“It appears that the deceased was killed simply because she was found to be annoying to the offenders,” Dempster said.
A fourth housemate, David Ross John Haynes, 27, has been jailed for two years for being an accessory after the fact to the murder, which took place at his father’s house.
The court heard the attack started in the kitchen after the trio had been drinking alcohol and Stacey had been slipped a sleeping pill.
Dempster said Parashumti started raining blows on Stacey while Bach’s “St John’s Passion” was playing throughout the house.
During the attack Parashumti complained Stacey was taking too long to die so she continued to beat her while Stasinowsky wrapped a belt chain around her neck.
The women monitored her pulse after she fell unconscious and then kissed each other over the body once she died.
Then they videotaped the blood-drenched crime scene on a mobile phone, on which they are heard mocking Stacey’s English accent.
“It ends with Parashumti saying, ‘I tell you man, when I was beating the f— out of her with a rock,’ and then there’s laughter from Stasinowsky,” Dempster told the court.
Neither of the two killers had serious criminal records and both were young women — Parashumti was 18 and Stasinowsky was 19 at the time of the murder.
Parashumti’s lawyer, David Edwardson, said his client had never had a serious relationship before meeting Stasinowsky.
Edwardson said Parashumti had a violent family life and had also been associated with the vampire subculture since the age of 10 when she started experimenting with drinking blood. At first from her own cuts then later that of others.
He said initially Parashumti liked Stacey but the friendship quickly became strained when Stacey talked about committing suicide.
“Anyone who kills themselves obviously they don’t appreciate their own lives [sic],” the court heard Parashumti told her lawyer. “I wish I had a f—ing perfect world.”
Stasinowsky too had a troubled adolescence before leaving home at 16.
As an only child of a single working mother, the court heard she felt extreme loneliness and was “emotionally barren.”
Stasinowsky’s lawyer Andree Horrigan said her client believed the relationship with Parashumti was “strong and solid.”
“There was always this basis that she and Ms Parashumti were a unit and were conjoined essentially,” she said. “They were a partnership.”
By all accounts, Stacey was a typical teen — outgoing, fun-loving and full of youthful spirit.
Her MySpace Web site was decorated with bright pink wallpaper of Playboy bunnies.
“My name is stacey, Im english, I love me alochol, i’m a party gurl, music is me life, i cant live with out my friends, im a very loud person, i talk 24/7, im a very down to earth person if you get to know me …xxx,[sic]” the Web site said.
Stasinowsky and Parashumti’s lawyers have both asked the judge to consider their young ages and early guilty pleas in sentencing.

A Killer’s Rampage

Coral Gables High School

Elizabeth Kenyon taught emotionally disturbed children in 1984 at Coral Gables High School, south of Miami, Florida, but hoped one day to return to fashion modeling. At age 23, she was the kind of beautiful young woman that turned men’s heads. Two years earlier, she had won the title of Orange Bowl Princess and had been a finalist in the Miss Florida Contest. With thick brown hair and a wide, sociable grin, she made friends easily.

Elizabeth Kenyon
On March 4, Kenyon left her apartment in Coral Gables to visit her parents in Pompano Beach, a trip she made every weekend. According to Bruce Gibney, in his book, The Beauty Queen Killer, Beth’s father noticed bruises on her arms and legs that day. Alarmed, he asked her what had happened. She shrugged it off as a schoolyard fight that she had broken up.

The Beauty Queen Killer
Kenyon stayed with her parents until 9:00 that evening, and then got into her car to return home. Her roommate recalled that she arrived around 10 and went to bed. She went to work the next day and spoke to Mitch Fry, the school’s police officer and security patrol, in the parking lot. He watched her get into her car and drive away. Fry was to be the last person to see Kenyon alive. On Tuesday, she did not show up for work, so Fry called her roommate and learned that Beth had not come home the night before. Nor had she called to tell anyone where she was.

Beth was not the type that would go somewhere without telling someone. Calls to others who knew her got everyone worried. Her parents began calling around to friends and to hospitals, with no luck. Finally, they contacted the police at the Metro Dade Public Safety Department and filed a missing person report.

Christopher Wilder

Several days went by with no news, so Bill Kenyon took matters into his own hands. He hired a private investigator, Kenneth Whittaker, to look into the matter. He discovered that there were several men in Beth’s life, and thus several potential suspects: Beth had been on a dinner date recently with a man from West Germany; she had begun seeing a man again with whom she had broken off the relationship; and she had occasionally been having dinner with a former boyfriend, a photographer named Christopher Wilder. She had told her father that on their first date, Wilder had been a real gentleman. After a few more dates, he had even proposed marriage. But Beth had felt that at seventeen years her senior, he was too old for her. So over the past two years, they had remained friends.

Whittaker questioned Beth’s parents about each of these men and learned that Beth had mentioned Wilder to them the day before she had disappeared. He’d gotten her an opportunity to do some modeling for good money.

Yet a call to Wilder produced only disappointing results. The man claimed he had not seen Beth in over a month. The other two men did not seem viable suspects, either.

The investigation seemed to have reached a dead-end when another former boyfriend stopped at a gas station in Coral Gables to show Beth’s picture around. It was a Shell station where Beth normally bought her gas. To everyone’s surprise, two attendants said that Beth had been there on Monday afternoon. She was about to pay when a man in a gray Cadillac drove in behind her and paid the bill. Beth seemed to know him and she mentioned that they were on the way to the airport. When the attendants were shown photographs, they easily picked out Chris Wilder as the man with her. Beth’s car was subsequently found at Miami International Airport. Yet she had not packed to go anywhere.

The police would not help with what was still a missing person’s case, so Bill Kenyon staked out Wilder’s house himself. When he did not find the man at home, he sent his investigator to the Boynton Beach Police to ask about Wilder. They told Whittaker they had a lengthy rap sheet on him. He was far from the “gentleman” that Beth had once described. He’d had a history of sexual offenses.

Beth’s parents suddenly realized that — on the very night that Beth had visited them for the last time, they had seen a television report about another missing woman — one who looked very much like Beth.

The Kenyons were chilled by the resemblance. Their instinct was that Wilder had been involved in their daughter’s disappearance, and that perhaps he had abducted both women.A Link

Rosario Gonzales

Rosario Gonzales, 20, had disappeared on February 26, 2000. She’d been working at a temporary job distributing aspirin samples at the Miami Grand Prix racetrack, where witnesses said she had left around noon with an older man. She, too, had pretty dark eyes and long, brown hair. She had not even picked up her paycheck.

Human Monsters

Nothing clearly linked the two, except that Kenyon knew Christopher Wilder, who sometimes drove cars in races and often hung around at the Miami racetrack. Also, both had participated in the Miss Florida contest and wanted to be models. (In the book Human Monsters David Everitt reports that Rosario had previously posed for a book cover that Wilder photographed.)

That Wilder had lied about seeing Beth made him suspect. Now a look at his case file at the Boynton Beach police station convinced the private investigator that Wilder could very well be a sexual predator. Beth’s rejection of his marriage proposal may have elevated her danger.

Whittaker went with an ex-police officer to talk with Wilder at his office at the Sawtel Construction Company, which he owned with a partner. Wilder pulled up in the gray Cadillac described by the gas station attendants. Yet inside his office, he repeated his denial of having seen Beth in the past few days. He insisted the attendants had made a mistake in their identification. Then he brought in his secretary to vouch for his whereabouts, but that proved to have been a mistake.

The investigators told her they were looking for Beth Kenyon, and she said, yes, the girl whose car was found at the airport.

No one had mentioned an airport and finding the car had not been made public. The secretary seemed flustered and asked Wilder if that wasn’t the information he had given to her.

Wilder was quick. He said that Beth’s mother had told him that.

Mrs. Kenyon later denied it.

Around the same time, the police learned that Rosario Gonzales, the other missing girl, had also known Christopher Wilder. That information spurred them into a countywide hunt, following numerous leads and tips, many of which were mistaken identifications or dead-ends. Then Whittaker informed them that Christopher Wilder had been at the Miami Grand Prix and that he was a suspect in Beth Kenyon’s disappearance.

These disappearances became a more serious matter, and regular detectives from Metro Dade were now assigned to Beth Kenyon’s case, with the possibility that the same suspect had kidnapped two girls within a week’s time. They placed information in the newspaper, hoping to get some help from the public.

Just as Christopher Wilder was celebrating his 39th birthday on March 13, the police were collecting a file on him. Three days later, he read in the Miami Herald that “a racecar driver” and “wealthy contractor” was suspected in the disappearances, and he realized it was time to move. He did keep his appointment with his therapist, who was treating him for sex crimes for which he’d received parole. Knowing his preference for girls with long hair and his fantasy about holding a girl captive, the therapist asked if he knew anything about the missing Rosario. He looked her in the eye and denied it.

Two days later, he dropped his three dogs at a kennel, withdrew a substantial amount of money from the bank, and told his partner he was being framed and was “not going to jail.” He got into his 1973 Chrysler New Yorker sedan and drove off. He had said to others that stress was bad for him. Now it was about to provoke a shocking spree.The Development of a Sadist

Born March 13, 1945, Christopher Bernard Wilder was the oldest child of an American naval officer and an Australian native. Immediately after he was born, writes Michael Newton in The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers, he was so close to death that a priest gave him Last Rites. Yet he recovered, though he remained sickly, and at the age of two, he almost drowned in a swimming pool. A year later, he had an attack of convulsions that made him faint.

His childhood was fairly stable, but he did some window-peeking in early adolescence and got into trouble when he was seventeen. He was arrested with a group of friends for the gang-rape of a girl on the beach of Sydney, Australia. He pleaded guilty and received a year of probation with counseling and electroshock therapy. That apparently provided some fuel for his fantasies, writes Gibney, for unlike before this treatment, he now imagined shocking girls while having sex with them. Therapists noted his need to dominate women and his desire to turn them into slaves for his pleasure. He wanted to hold a woman captive against her will.

When he was 23, he married a woman, who soon discovered his sexual dark side and left him after only eight days. He had photographs of naked women in a briefcase, and he apparently used these to try to force a nurse into sexual relations. Instead, she went to the police but did not press charges in court.

Disguise of Sanity

Around this time, Wilder, who had lived in the United States at one point during childhood, immigrated to there in 1969, settling in Florida, where he did very well for himself during a building boom in the electrical and construction business. He bought a nice home, began racing cars, and developed his photography hobby. (Michael Cartel points out in Disguise of Sanity that the diamond ring he wore was fake, his Porsche was twenty years old, and his nice home was constructed from leftover materials, so much of his glitter was a façade.) He got into real estate, which further enriched him. He had a speedboat, sporty cars, and a home with an indoor-outdoor pool. He was known to hold some wild parties.

But he got into trouble again. In 1971, he was turned in to the police for trying to get women to pose for him in the nude. He wanted to take their photographs. He got off with a fine. Lying low for a while, he resurfaced with the police when in a home in which he was doing a renovation he forced a high school student to have oral sex. She turned him in and this time, he went to court. When asked if he was sane enough to stand trial, Earl James says in Catching Serial Killers that he told the judge he was masturbating twice a week to the mental image of raping a girl. He did not think what he had done to the girl was wrong.

A doctor who examined him said that he was not safe in an unstructured environment. He and another psychiatrist recommended supervised treatment. Wilder tried to get his lawyer to make a deal, but the case went to trial. Nevertheless, a jury acquitted him.

His next act, three years later, was outright rape. He adopted the name “David Pierce” to approach two girls in a shopping center, posing as a photographer who needed models for a job he had under contract. One went with him and he drugged her and forced her to have sex in his truck. She turned him in. But he plea-bargained the charges down to probation with therapy. At that time he claimed he suffered from blackouts on weekends. He was scheduled to see a sex therapist, who over the months of treatment believed he made progress.

Wilder returned to Australia to see his parents, but he did not stay out of trouble. In 1982, he was accused of grabbing two fifteen-year-old girls from a beach and forcing them to pose without clothes for photographs. Cartel says that he bound them into subservient positions and masturbated over them. He let them go and they went to the police.

His parents posted his substantial bail and he was allowed to return to Florida until his trial, set five months away. Then it was postponed, and postponed again, and by the time his hearings were finally scheduled for April of 1984, he wasn’t an easy man to find. Had even one of these judges understood the danger of this sexual predator, he might have been stopped before so many girls died.On the Run

“This case contains several lessons which are significant to those called upon to investigate serial murders, “ writes Earl James. He devotes a chapter to the Wilder case because it was an example of a man who traveled thousands of miles and whose behaviors were novel and extraordinarily depraved. In particular, he notes, investigators must be vigilant when they suspect someone of such crimes, because these men will get others to lie for them and establish phony alibis.

James believes that the police involved should have asked Wilder to take a polygraph in the Kenyon case rather than just accept his version of events. It was a mistake that allowed this man to get away. They had enough on him to make the request and not doing so was a serious misstep. It was also a mistake not to place him under surveillance the instant a link between the two missing women was suspected.

Almost right away, it’s suspected that he picked up a girl in Merritt Square shopping mall on Sunday, the day after he left, by luring her with the promise of a modeling career—her ultimate ambition.

Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson, 21, was from Satellite Beach, Florida, two hours north of where Wilder had departed. She was not far from home when she disappeared, and she was last seen at several different stores in the mall. Her stepfather found her car still parked there. An hour after she was last seen, Wilder called for a tow truck to come to a state road near Canaveral Groves to pull his car out of the sand. It was a lovers’ lane, but he was alone. He claimed he had gotten lost. He paid for the tow with his business partner’s stolen credit card. Once free, he was on his way.

Five days later on March 23, a female body was found about 70 miles west of Terry Ferguson’s hometown, dumped in a snake-infested canal. The body was identified from dental charts as Terry. Once the story ran in the local newspaper, a witness came forward to say that she had seen the long-haired brunette talking to a tall older man. Looking through mug shots, without hesitation she picked out Wilder as the man with whom Terry had been speaking. But he was now long gone and had even killed again.

Yet in his self-destructive drive, he made a serious mistake.Shock Treatments

His next victim was from Tallahassee, but he had grabbed her on March 20 from a shopping mall near Florida State University. Leaving her in a motel, he had driven her car to various places before abandoning it, and then had taken her across the Florida state line into Bainbridge, Georgia, close to Louisiana. Only 19, she was blond and pretty. She had fallen for his line and made herself vulnerable. Instead of photographing her as promised, he tortured her, and from her the police were able to learn a more detailed version of Wilder’s peculiar modus operandi.

Around 11:00 that night, she screamed at the motel, waking other overnight guests. A man intent on locating the source of the distress passed by another man with a suitcase who was rushing out. The stranger in a hurry excused himself, speaking in a foreign accent. He sped out of the parking lot as if to escape someone. And the screams had stopped, so there was no way to find the room from which they had originated.

However, the girl eventually found her way to the night manager’s desk. He was stunned to see her standing there, wrapped only in a sheet, her hair soaked in blood. Something was wrong with her eyes, but she urged him to call the police immediately, so he did. He called an ambulance as well, and they were able to determine that this girl’s eyelids had been glued shut, and they found bruises all over her body.

The motel clerk supplied the police with the name of the man who had registered for the room, paying with cash and using a Florida driver’s license. He was in his mid-to-late thirties, around six feet tall, deeply tanned, and physically fit. He had thinning brown hair and a trimmed beard.

A search of the room revealed that while the man may have packed quickly, he had taken anything that could have helped them to identify him. Yet there were bloodstains on the wall, duct tape on the floor, and an indication that someone had used the bed. It was time to speak to the girl.

At the hospital, she told police officers that she had been shopping at a mall near where she went to college and was in the parking lot when the man had approached her. He told her that he was a photographer looking for a model to pose for him. She need only go with him to a nearby park, with no obligation. He told her she had a fresh face and she was just the type he was seeking. He would pay her $25 for less than an hour.

He seemed sincere and credible. He was well dressed, in a pin-stripe suit and was not at all pushy. She had hesitated for a moment, but then decided to go along with him. At his car, he’d shown her some fashion magazines and claimed that several of the impressive photos were his work.

Something told this girl not to go with him, so she thanked him and declined. At that moment, he punched her hard in the stomach. Then he hit her in the face and pushed her into his car. She couldn’t breathe, let alone struggle, and he was already in the car and driving fast before she got her bearings. When he stopped near a wooded area, he placed duct tape over her mouth and bound her hands together. A little farther away, he stopped again and placed her in the trunk of his sedan. She lay there, bound and gagged, for hours while the man drove to an unknown destination. When he finally stopped, he opened the trunk, wrapped her in a sleeping blanket, and carried her over his shoulder into a motel room. She had no idea where they were or what he might do next.

The man said that if she did not remain quiet, he would kill her. Then he began to subject her to torture. Cartel says that he intended to keep her there and torture her over a period of several days.

He made her undress and then lay down next to her and masturbated. (James says he also shaved off her pubic hair and Cartel adds that he put a knife to her groin to see how she would react.) Then he made her perform sexual acts, and finally he raped her twice. All this time, he was watching the television. She hoped this might be all he would do, but apparently he had decided to make things more interesting for himself. He pulled out an electrical cord, which appeared to have been cut in the middle and fashioned for some specific purpose. There was even a switch. She found out what this contraption was for when he applied two open copper wires to her flesh and used the cord to painfully shock her feet.

Afterward, he used a bottle of Superglue with an applicator to force her eyes shut, then used a blow dryer to try to harden it. He did a poor job of it, since she managed to see what he was doing through tiny slits.

He turned the channels until he found an aerobics show, and then ordered his abductee to get up and dance in the way the women were dancing on the tube. She could barely see, but she complied. Her feet were still wired, so when she did not perform as he wanted, he shocked her into obedience.

The television seemed to mesmerize him. After a while, he stopped paying attention to her and remained glued to the screen. She thought she might be able to escape, so she moved toward the bathroom. He came at her, grabbing a hairdryer to hit her in the head. He had told her that if she tried to escape, he would kill her and now she faced that possibility. The girl was terrified. Nevertheless, she struggled with him and managed to get into the bathroom and lock the door. Her eye had been gouged and was bleeding, but for the moment she was safe. She turned around to the wall that was shared between rooms and pounded, screaming as loudly as she could.

She heard fumbling in the room and then the door slam closed. She prayed that he was gone. Yet she waited fully half an hour before she dared to venture out to see. She hoped her screams had frightened him. When she cracked open the door, sure enough, he had packed his “toys” and left. He’d even taken her clothes. But she thought he might still come back, so she ran out, grabbed a bed sheet to cover herself, and went in search of help.

Wilder Wanted poster

At any moment, she knew, she might still encounter her captor, and he could still kill her. Yet to her relief, she made it to the motel office without being stopped.

After she told her story, the sheriff issued notices to all patrol cars to be on the lookout for a cream-colored Chrysler sedan, and sent bulletins to neighboring states. They also sent a notice to the FBI, since with a kidnapping they could now step in. In fact, they had already been on the case while Wilder was still in Florida.

Aware of the two missing girls in Florida, they gave this incident a lot of attention. Christopher Wilder, a convicted sex offender, was a very dangerous man, and he was desperate. Yet despite his knowledge that the law was after him, he was clearly unafraid of approaching and grabbing girls along the way.

No one spotted the car. Wilder managed to get to Texas, where he found his next victim.Frenzy

Terry Walden

Terry Diane Walden, a 24-year-old nurse from Beaumont and mother of two, told her husband on March 21 that a bearded older man had approached her and asked if she would pose for him as a model. She had turned him down, but he had asked her to go with him to his car to see some samples of his work. She requested quite firmly that he leave her alone. Then two days later on Friday, she disappeared. Her husband failed to make the connection at first.

A friend had seen her around 11:30 that morning, hurrying through the student union at the college where she took classes, and her orange Mercury Cougar was gone from where she usually parked it. Her frantic family went through the weekend trying to locate her.

Then on Monday morning, March 26, a worker found her floating facedown in a canal near a dam. She was fully clothed. The pathologist found that she had been tied up with different types of rope at one point, gagged with tape, and stabbed multiple times, but there was no indication of sexual assault.

Forty detectives were assigned to the case. They found a strip of duct tape in the water, footprints nearby, and tire tracks, but could not find Terry’s car.

The FBI came in to help. They knew that Wilder had stolen license plates in Baton Rouge shortly before to place on his Chrysler. He had stayed at a motel near Beaumont where he had registered under his partner’s name, L.K. Kimbrell. Terry’s husband supplied a description of the man who had approached her, and it matched Wilder. Then his abandoned Chrysler, sans plates, was located. It appeared that he had removed the stolen plates from his car and had probably put them on Terry’s. At least they knew the car he was using, and the license plate number. But he had a head start. By then he’d reached Nevada, via Oklahoma and Colorado. Reports of missing women were turning up almost daily.

On March 25, Wilder had grabbed Suzanne Logan, 21, from an Oklahoma City shopping mall, where she had driven after dropping her husband off at work. Because she did not keep an appointment that afternoon or pick her husband up, he reported her missing. On the same day that Terry Walden was discovered, a fisherman found Logan floating in a reservoir. Unlike Walden, she had been tortured and raped before she was stabbed to death. Some of her clothes had been removed, James says, and her face was badly bruised. She also had small cuts on her back, as if stabbed superficially with a knife. Her pubic hair was shaved and her long blond locks had been snipped off. Eventually a maid found her hair in a wastebasket at a motel. Logan had likely been lured by her interest in modeling, and Gibney says she had been dead less than an hour when she was found, but was not identified for over a week.

Sheryl Bonaventura

Shortly after this grisly discovery, but in Colorado, blonde Sheryl Bonaventura, 18, was kidnapped from a Grand Junction mall, and a witness described a bearded, well-dressed man who looked like Wilder talking with her. He had wandered through the mall, soliciting women for photographs and modeling jobs. Someone had seen him with Sheryl, a girl who’d already done some modeling and hoped to do more. She had likely been an easy mark for him. Her Mazda was left in the parking lot, locked, with her sunglasses inside. With a nationwide alert now targeting Christopher Wilder as a fugitive and predator of pretty girls, this missing-persons report received immediate attention.

A waitress later said she had spotted Sheryl on the same day she disappeared having lunch in Silverton, Colorado, a hundred miles away, with a man who looked like Wilder. She had given her name to the waitress and told her they were heading for Vegas. Another teenage girl had eaten lunch and left the restaurant with them as well.

Wilder and company spent the night in a motel in Durango and went into Las Vegas, but that was the end of the ride for Sheryl. Wilder was already scouting out his next prey.

She disappeared from Las Vegas on April Fool’s Day. Only 17 but highly photogenic, Michelle Korfman had been in a fashion show sponsored by Seventeen magazine, and a photograph examined later showed Wilder in attendance, smiling broadly as he watched her. She wanted to be a model. It probably wasn’t difficult for him to persuade her to accompany him, or at least to listen to him until he had her at a disadvantage. Witnesses saw them leave together, and other people recall him approaching a number of women that day about modeling. Eight turned him down, but some had agreed to meet him in front of Caesar’s Palace. He had not shown up. Michelle’s car was found, which meant that Wilder was still driving the orange Mercury.

On April 3, the FBI placed Wilder on their Ten Most Wanted list, and the intensive manhunt picked up steam.A Profile

At the time the Behavioral Science Unit had been in operation for six years, with John Douglas as chief, and the agents were developing the computer database known as ViCAP. They had gone out to a number of locations to assist with serial crimes like rape and murder, and now they had Christopher Wilder to consider. In Human Monsters, David Everitt points out that this was the same month in which Henry Lee Lucas was convicted of murder in Texas, after confessing to hundreds across several states.

In Wilder’s case, they knew who the perpetrator was, they just did not know where he was or where he would strike next on his path of death. Several times, they arrived at a motel or restaurant within hours of his departure. He kept stealing license plates and driving in erratic directions. He was exceedingly difficult to predict.

While they judged him to be a classic serial killer, in retrospect there are many criminologists who classify him as a spree killer. Yet if he had killed the two women he had abducted in Florida and had continued in that pattern, without getting nervous and running, then he would be a serial killer. There was some evidence later that he might have killed several years before.

He was compulsive about killing. It was a sexual addiction. He was a charming white male in his 30s, spurred by sexual fantasies and excited by a certain type of victim—in this case, beautiful young women who could be models. Hence, he was dubbed “The Beauty Queen Killer.” He was highly mobile, willing to drive long distances to keep doing what he was doing. James says “It is not unusual for a serial killer to drive between 100,000 and 200,000 miles in a year.”

Putting him on the Ten Most Wanted list generated more publicity about him countrywide and made it clear that catching him was an urgent matter. Everitt says the FBI did not want to reveal many details of Wilder’s brutality for fear of inspiring copycat crimes. Authorities monitored the use of the credit cards Wilder had stolen from his partner, but it was still difficult to determine where he was going. They expected that at some point he would try leaving the country.

The best bet for him was Mexico, since that government would not extradite a man who might face the death penalty or life without parole, as Wilder surely would do. At the very least, it would take years.

To try to get a better sense of Wilder’s personality, people who knew him were interviewed. His business partner said that he spent a lot of time watching television, because he didn’t have much else to do, while others claimed that beautiful women went to his home in droves. He even had a girlfriend who could not believe the charges, although she recalled several strange incidents. Once Wilder had commanded her to leave his home, fearing he might hurt her, and another time, she had woken up to find him at the foot of her bed. He claimed he did not know how he had gotten there or why. Someone brought forward photographs that Wilder had left for developing, which included women he did not know and prepubescent children. He had told his girlfriend that his photography hobby was a sickness, but he had to do it.

In Florida, the manager of a dating service offered a tape that Wilder had made in 1981. He talked a lot about himself on the tape and said that he wanted a long relationship but not marriage. He was seeking “depth and sincerity.” He also indicated that he preferred women in their early 20s. The FBI broadcast the tape to help women who were approached by him to see him for what he was. He could be anywhere, and any pretty woman was a potential victim. There were a lot of shopping malls around the country, and one thing they knew for sure was that he would not stop abducting and killing pretty girls until he was caught.Younger Victims

A sixteen-year-old girl, Tina Marie, had filled out a job application at Hickory Farms, north of Torrance, California. Wilder had followed her into the store and on their way outside he offered her $100 to pose for him. He was shooting a billboard, he said, and she would be seen for miles around. What he needed, however, were a few test rolls.

Apparently she did pose for some photos for him, but after one roll, she told him she had to go home. To her surprise, he grew angry. He pulled out a revolver and stuck the barrel into her mouth. He then said, “Your modeling days are over.”

Binding her, he put her into his car—still the stolen one from Texas—and drove with her for over two hundred miles to El Centro, California. There he already had a motel room, and he took her inside. He tied her to the bed and attacked her. Yet he did not kill her.

“It has been speculated,” says Michael Cartel, “that Wilder stopped short of killing [her] because he believed she was robotic enough to help him capture other victims.”

A missing-persons report was filed right away. She had family and a boyfriend who insisted she would not have run away. She clearly had been at Hickory Farms. From there, no one knew where she had gone, but she had not come home. The store manager identified Christopher Wilder as the man he had seen approach her.

Wilder and his captive now turned and drove east. They stayed in Taos, New Mexico, on April 7. He began to spot newspaper articles about him wherever he went, and the videotape from the dating service was broadcast on television. Now millions of people would know him on sight. They knew what kind of car he was driving.

Yet that did not stop him.

Dawnette Wilt

The next girl was also sixteen. Dawnette Wilt was filling out a form at a store in Gary, Indiana, when another girl interrupted her, introduced herself as Tina Marie Wilder, and asked her to step outside the store to speak to the manager. That turned out to be Wilder. He had forced one victim to lure yet another, and he grabbed Dawnette and used a gun to force her into the car. He placed duct tape over both her eyes and mouth. Since he had a driver—Tina Marie, who had already been assaulted—he was free to torment and rape Dawnette in the car.

They stopped at a hotel in Ohio, where Dawnette was treated to Wilder’s special torture device, and then they all drove across Pennsylvania to New York State. Tina Marie and Wilder took photographs at Niagara Falls before they went to Rochester, New York for the night. There, Dawnette was raped and tortured once again. Wilder warned both girls that if they tried to draw attention to themselves or to escape, he would kill them. They believed him, and while he took three or four showers each day, they remained in the various rooms.

When Wilder saw on television an appeal for Tina Marie’s return, he drove them both away and then took Dawnette out into the woods near Penn Yan. He tried to suffocate her, but she struggled so much he could not get a grip. So he took out his knife and stabbed her, front and back. She pretended to be dead, so he left her there and walked back to the car. When she knew he was gone, she struggled to her feet and walked out to a road where she found someone who would take her to a hospital. She told the police that Wilder was driving the Mercury Cougar and was heading toward Canada. He had told the girls that he would not be taken alive.

Beth Dodge

Even so, he wasn’t so desperate yet that he didn’t have time to go for yet another victim. At Eastview Mall near Victor, New York, he had Tina Marie persuade 33-year-old Beth Dodge, who was getting out of a gold Pontiac Trans-Am, to come over to their car. Wilder forced her inside and took her car keys. He had Tina Marie drive the Trans-Am, following him. When Wilder found a deserted gravel pit, he made the woman get out and he shot her in the back. He left the Mercury there and took the Trans-Am.

Wilder seemed to know his time was just about up. He drove to Boston’s Logan Airport, gave Tina Marie enough money to fly back home and get a cab, and they parted ways. In Los Angeles, she later said that he had expressed a desire that she not be with him when he died.

She barely got away with her life, and even boarding the plane, she said, she believed she would be shot in the back. Oddly, when she arrived in Los Angeles, she asked the cab driver to take her to a lingerie store first. She spoke to the sales manager and told her that Wilder had cut her hair short to make her look like the girl in the movie Flashdance. Then some friends saw her and took her to the police.

Cornering the Killer

On April 13, Wilder tried to grab another girl. He saw a nineteen-year-old by the side of the road whose car had broken down. Wilder offered to give her a lift to get gas, but when he passed the gas station, she knew something was up. She insisted he stop, so he pulled out a gun. However, he had to slow down in one place, and she grabbed the opportunity to open the door and leap out. Rolling away, she managed to escape.

Wilder dumped several articles, such as his camera, suitcase and things he’d taken from the victims, and then drove into New Hampshire. At a service station in Colebrook, New Hampshire, about twelve miles from the Canadian border, he drew the attention of two state troopers. (Newton says they had recognized the car from FBI descriptions, Gibney says they knew it from recent news reports, while Cartel says they thought Wilder was acting strangely enough to investigate.). They looked at him as he stood talking to the attendant and thought he looked like the guy on the FBI posters, sans beard. His tan indicated he was not from around there.

The troopers pulled in and got out of their car. They called out to him, and he dove inside the vehicle, apparently going for a gun. In the scuffle, one trooper, Leo Jellison, jumped on his back, grabbing for the .357 Magnum, and two shots were fired. One went through Wilder into the trooper’s chest, lodging in his liver. The second went into Wilder’s heart, obliterating it. He died on the spot.

It was Friday the 13th. It had been 47 days since the first reported disappearance and he had spent twenty-six days on the run. His luck had just run out.

The Collector

Found in his possession, as listed by both James and Gibney, were the .357 revolver, extra ammunition, handcuffs, rolls of duct tape, rope, a sleeping bag, his business partner’s credit card, the specially designed electrical cord for stunning the women he picked up, and a novel by British author John Fowles called The Collector.

Published in 1963, this story features a lonely entomologist who collects butterflies and who also captures and imprisons a pretty art student named Miranda. He keeps her in his basement. Seeing nothing wrong with what he has done, he treats her well, expecting that this will eventually win her love, and willingly gives her anything she wants, except her freedom. While she grows to need his attention, since he’s the only person she ever sees, she also views him as evil for his imprisonment of her. Nevertheless, she belongs to him, and this fantasy is not uncommon among sadists.

Among those who hoped to create sexual slaves were Jeffrey Dahmer, who murdered seventeen men; Leonard Lake and Charles Ng, who tortured and killed an unknown number of people, and others who actually imprisoned women for sex for long stretches of time but did not kill them. One woman was kept in a box for seven years.

Therapists who had treated Wilder over a period of time knew that he loved this book and had practically memorized it. For him it had been the ultimate fantasy.

But now he would have no more chances to make it come true.

Yet Wilder’s wretched tale did not end there. Six days after the autopsy, New Hampshire pathologist Robert Christie took a phone call from a man claiming to be from Harvard. According to Newton, this man said that Harvard wanted Wilder’s brain for study. He agreed, in the interest of science, but he wanted a formal written request. It never materialized, and when he phoned Harvard, no one there admitted to making any such call.

Even as Wilder was cremated in Florida, there were many questions concerning the whereabouts of some of his victims. The families of the missing were sick with grief that they might never find their daughters.

Yet gradually, a few more were located and identified.Retrospect

On May 3, over a month after she had disappeared, Sheryl Bonaventura was found under a tree in Utah. She had been killed with a gun and also stabbed. Her time of death was estimated at around March 31, two days after she was spotted with Wilder in a restaurant. Eight days later, in the Angeles National Forest, Michelle Korfman was discovered. She was badly decomposed and it took almost a month to notify her family of the identification. Neither of the two girls who had disappeared in Florida, triggering Wilder’s spree, were ever found.

Some women who were murdered in places where he was known to have been on those dates were tentatively linked to him as well, particularly in Las Vegas. A couple of girls identified him from mug shots as the man who had grabbed them in Boynton Beach, Florida in 1983 and forced them to perform oral sex on him. They were ten and twelve.

Even in Australia, he was linked to numerous incidents of sexual molestation and two deaths. In 1965, two decades before his final run, two young women had accompanied a man matching Wilder’s description to a beach near Sydney, and they were both found raped, strangled, and placed in a shallow grave.

Two more girls had been grabbed at malls in Florida. One was stabbed to death and the other was never found. Several sets of skeletal remains were found near property that Wilder owned, and one woman was estimated to have been dead for several years.

In other places where Wilder was seen, girls disappeared. Some were found dead, others disappeared altogether.

Officer Jellison recovered from his wounds and was happy to know the identity of the man he had stopped from escaping into Canada. Thanks to him, it was the end of the line for Christopher Bernard Wilder, who left an estate estimated as being worth between half a million and almost two million.

While he’s credited with eight victims, he’s tentatively linked to so many others that it’s impossible to know the final count of his victims.

Since he died as an apparent suicide, Earl James suggests that when the police began to close in on him, he had already decided to kill himself. However, he wanted a final spree before doing so. Yet given the fact that he went to California and then New Hampshire, it seems more likely that he was trying to flee to another country. He got fairly close to the Mexican border, but something must have made him decide to turn around and go back across country. James believes his intent to cross into Canada is unlikely, since he didn’t choose a populated place to do so. But when he died, he was ten minutes from the border.

Some authors call him a nomadic killer, as if he chose to go from place to place as Ted Bundy did. However, that seems to be a mistaken notion as well. He certainly had learned in Australia that one way to elude a trial was to just leave the country. It was also clear to him in Florida that he would have to leave the state. He’s less the intentional nomad and more likely a killer on the run who grabbed opportunities to rape and kill as he saw them.

He also demonstrates the fact that some serial killers use different methods to kill. He used suffocation, stabbing, and shooting. One victim was both stabbed and shot. Several were let go. Many were tortured, but some were merely killed for their cars. Some were left in rivers, some in rest areas, and one in a gravel pit. Yet he kept his victim type relatively stable.

Psychologist Al C. Carlisle believes that serial killers have a divided personality. Wilder certainly exhibited a good side that fooled people, Carlisle points out, and a bad side that harmed them. He was able to maintain a public persona of an upstanding citizen and run a successful business, even as he entertained and acted out his darker fantasies. As each one was played out, and as life became more disappointing, Wilder’s fantasies became more violent. Nevertheless, Carlisle admits, “the pathological process that leads to the development of an obsessive appetite (and possibly an addiction) to kill is still one of the most perplexing psychological mysteries yet to be solved.”Photo Gallery

Christopher Wilder – The Beauty Queen Killer

Elizabeth Kenyon,victim

Rosario Gonzales,victim


Dawnette Wilt, victim

Beth Dodge, victim

Terry Ferguson, victim

Sheryl Bonaventura, victim

Terry Walden, victim


FBI Wanted poster for Christopher Wilder

Top 10 Evil Serial KillersWARNING: This article contains descriptions of murders and links to photographs of the victims bodies. These are not just the standard notorious murderers; these are some of the most horrific killers to have been found guilty of their crimes. They are on this list either because of the nature of their crime, or the sheer number of their killings. Graphic images are marked with [!]. In no particular order:

1. Gilles de Rais, Born 1404 [Crimelibrary]

Gilles de Rais (a French nobleman) is considered to be the precursor to the modern serial killer. Before he began his killing spree, he rode as a military captain in the army lead by St Joan of Arc – though it is unlikely that she knew him. He was accused and ultimately convicted of torturing, raping and murdering dozens, if not hundreds, of young children, mainly boys.

According to surviving accounts, Rais lured children, mainly young boys who were blond haired and blue eyed (as he had been as a child), to his residences, and raped, tortured and mutilated them, often ejaculating, perhaps via masturbation, over the dying victim. He and his accomplices would then set up the severed heads of the children in order to judge which was the most fair. The precise number of Rais’s victims is not known, as most of the bodies were burned or buried. The number of murders is generally placed between 80 and 200; a few have conjectured numbers upwards of 600. The victims ranged in age from six to eighteen and included both sexes. Although Rais preferred boys, he would make do with young girls if circumstances required.

At the transcript of the trial, one of Gilles servants Henriet (an accomplice to his crimes) described the actions of his master, which were essentially:

Henriet soon began to collect children for his master, and was present whilst he massacred them. They were murdered invariably in one room at Machecoul. The marshal used to bathe in their blood; he was fond of making Gilles do Sillé, Pontou, or Henriet torture them, and he experienced intense pleasure in seeing them in their agonies. But his great passion was to welter in their blood. His servants would stab a child in the jugular vein, and let the blood squirt over him. The room was often steeped in blood. When the horrible deed was done, and the child was dead, the marshal would be filled with grief for what he had done, and would toss weeping and praying on a bed, or recite fervent prayers and litanies on his knees, whilst his servants washed the floor, and burned in the huge fireplace the bodies of the murdered children. With the bodies were burned the clothes and everything that had belonged to the little victims. An insupportable odour filled the room, but the Maréchal do Retz inhaled it with delight

Images: Castle of Machecoul

2. Richard Trenton Chase, Born 1950 [Crimelibrary]

Richard Trenton Chase (May 23, 1950 – December 26, 1980) was an American serial killer who killed six people in the span of a month in California. He earned the nickname The Vampire of Sacramento due to his drinking of his victims’ blood and his cannibalism. He did this as part of a delusion that he needed to prevent Nazis from turning his blood into powder via poison they had planted beneath his soap dish.

On December 29, 1977, Chase killed his first victim in a drive-by shooting, Ambrose Griffin, a 51-year-old engineer and father of two. Chase’s next victim was Teresa Wallin. Three months pregnant, Teresa was surprised at her home by Chase, who shot her three times, killing her. He then had sex with the corpse and mutilated it, bathing in the dead woman’s blood. On January 27, Chase committed his final murders. Entering the home of 38-year-old Evelyn Miroth, he encountered her neighbor, Don Meredith, who he shot with the same .22 handgun. Stealing Meredith’s wallet and car keys, he rampaged through the house, fatally shooting Evelyn Miroth, her 6-year-old son Jason, and Miroth’s 22-month-old nephew, David. As with Teresa Wallin, Chase engaged in necrophilia and cannibalism with Miroth’s corpse. Chase returned to his home, where he drank David’s blood and ate several of the infant’s internal organs before disposing of the body at a nearby church. A witness saw him leaving the scene where he left perfect fingerprints and shoe-prints – leading to his arrest.

On May 8 Chase was found guilty of six counts of first degree murder and was sentenced to die in the gas chamber. Waiting to die, Chase became a feared presence in prison; the other inmates (including several gang members), aware of the graphic and bizarre nature of his crimes, feared him, and according to prison officials, they often tried to convince Chase to commit suicide. On December 26, 1980, a guard doing cell checks found Chase lying awkwardly on his bed, not breathing. An autopsy determined that he committed suicide with an overdose of prison doctor-prescribed antidepressants that he had been saving up over the last few weeks.

Images: [!] A victim

3. Jeffrey Dahmer, Born 1960 [Crimelibrary]

Dahmer murdered at least 17 men and boys between 1978 and 1991, with the majority of the murders occurring between 1989 and 1991. His murders were particularly gruesome, involving acts of forced sodomy, necrophilia, dismemberment, and cannibalism. Dahmer committed his first murder when he was 18, killing Steven Hicks, a 19 year-old hitchhiker. Dahmer invited Hicks to his house, and killed him because he “didn’t want him to leave.”

On September 25, 1988, he was arrested for sexually fondling a 13-year-old Laotian boy in Milwaukee, for which he served 10 months of a one year sentence in a work release camp. However, in 1988 there was not yet a law requiring offenders to register when convicted of a sex crime against a minor. He convinced the judge that he needed therapy, and he was released with a five-year probation on good behavior. Shortly thereafter, he began a string of murders that would end with his arrest in 1991.

In the early morning hours of May 27, 1991, 14-year-old Milwaukee Laotian Konerak Sinthasomphone (the younger brother of the boy Dahmer had molested) was discovered on the street, wandering nude. Reports of the boy’s injuries varied. Dahmer told police that they had an argument while drinking, and that Sinthasomphone was his 19 year-old lover. Against the teenager’s protests, police turned him over to Dahmer. They had no suspicions, but reported smelling a strange scent. That scent was later found to be bodies in the back of his room. Later that night Dahmer killed and dismembered Sinthasomphone, keeping his skull as a souvenir. By the summer of 1991, Dahmer was murdering approximately one person each week.

On July 22, 1991, Dahmer lured another man, Tracy (Traci) Edwards, into his home. According to the would-be victim, Dahmer struggled with Edwards in order to handcuff him. Edwards escaped and alerted a police car, with the handcuffs still hanging from one hand. Edwards led police back to Dahmer’s apartment. The story of Dahmer’s arrest and the gruesome inventory in his apartment quickly gained notoriety: several corpses were stored in acid-filled vats, severed heads were found in his refrigerator, and implements for the construction of an altar of candles and human skulls were found in his closet. Accusations soon surfaced that Dahmer had practiced necrophilia, cannibalism, and possibly a form of trepanation in order to create so-called “zombies.”

The court found Dahmer guilty on 15 counts of murder and sentenced him to 15 life terms, totalling 937 years in prison. At his sentencing hearing, Dahmer expressed remorse for his actions, also saying that he wished for his own death. On November 28, 1994, Dahmer and another inmate named Jesse Anderson were beaten to death by fellow inmate Christopher Scarver while on work detail in the prison gym. Dahmer died from severe head trauma in the ambulance en route to the hospital.

Images: [!] A victim, [!] Parts of another victim

4. Albert Fish, Born 1870 [Crimelibrary]

Albert Fish, also known as the Gray Man, the Werewolf of Wysteria and possibly the Brooklyn Vampire, boasted that he molested over 100 children, and was a suspect in at least five killings. Fish confessed to three murders that police were able to trace to a known homicide, and confessed to stabbing at least two other people. He was put on trial for the murder of Grace Budd, and was convicted and executed.

Fish was visited in prison by the mother of his victim Billy Gaffney to get more details about the death of her son. Fish said:

[I c]ut one of my belts in half, slit these halves in six strips about 8 inches long. I whipped his bare behind till the blood ran from his legs. I cut off his ears, nose, slit his mouth from ear to ear. Gouged out his eyes. He was dead then. I stuck the knife in his belly and held my mouth to his body and drank his blood. I picked up four old potato sacks and gathered a pile of stones. Then I cut him up. I had a grip with me. I put his nose, ears and a few slices of his belly in the grip. Then I cut him through the middle of his body. Just below the belly button. Then through his legs about 2 inches below his behind. I put this in my grip with a lot of paper. I cut off the head, feet, arms, hands and the legs below the knee.

In addition to this horrifying description, Fish confessed to eating parts of Billy:

I made a stew out of his ears, nose, pieces of his face and belly. I put onions, carrots, turnips, celery, salt and pepper. It was good. Then I split the cheeks of his behind open, cut off his monkey and pee wees and washed them first. I put strips of bacon on each cheek of his behind and put them in the oven. Then I picked 4 onions and when the meat had roasted about 1/4 hour, I poured about a pint of water over it for gravy and put in the onions. At frequent intervals I basted his behind with a wooden spoon. So the meat would be nice and juicy. In about 2 hours, it was nice and brown, cooked through. I never ate any roast turkey that tasted half as good as his sweet fat little behind did.

At his trial, several psychiatrists testified about Fish’s sexual fetishes, including coprophilia, urophilia, pedophilia and masochism. X-rays of Fish’s pelvis show needles which he inserted in to his skin for sexual pleasure.

Images: X-Ray of Fish’s pelvis, Closer view of the X-Ray, Cottage where one murder took place

5. Andrei Chikatilo, Born 1936 [Crimelibrary]

Andrei Chikatilo was a Ukrainian serial killer, nicknamed the Butcher of Rostov and ‘The Red Ripper.’ He was convicted of the murder of 53 women and children between 1978 and 1990. In 1978, Chikatilo moved to Shakhty, a small coal mining town near Rostov, where he committed his first documented murder. On December 22, he lured a nine-year-old girl to an old house which he bought in secret from his family and attempted to rape her. When the girl struggled, he stabbed her to death. He ejaculated in the process of knifing the child, and from then on he was only able to achieve sexual arousal and orgasm through stabbing and slashing women and children to death. Despite evidence linking Chikatilo to the girl’s death, a young man, Alexsandr Kravchenko, was arrested and later tried and executed for the crime.

He established a pattern of approaching runaways and young vagrants at bus or railway stations and enticing them to leave. A quick trip into a nearby forest was the scene for the victim’s death. In 1983, he did not kill until June, but then he murdered four victims before September. The victims were all women and children. The adult females were often prostitutes or homeless tramps who could be lured with promises of alcohol or money. Chikatilo would usually attempt intercourse with these victims, but would usually be unable to get an erection, which would send him into a murderous fury. The child victims were of both sexes, and Chikatilo would lure them away with his friendly, talkative manner by promising them toys or candy. In the USSR at the time, reports of crimes like child rape and serial murder were often suppressed by the state-controlled media, as such crimes were regarded as being common only in “hedonistic capitalist nations.”

In 1988 Chikatilo resumed killing, generally keeping his activities far from the Rostov area. He murdered a woman in Krasny-Sulin in April and went on to kill another eight people that year, including two victims in Shakhty. Again there was a long lapse before Chikatilo resumed killing, murdering seven boys and two women between January and November of 1990. He was finally caught when trying to approach young children whilst under police surveillance. He went to trial on April 14, 1992. Despite his odd and disruptive behavior in court, he was judged fit to stand trial. During the trial he was famously kept in a cage in the center of the courtroom; it was constructed for his own protection from the relatives of the deceased. The trial had a very disturbing atmosphere. The relatives kept shouting threats and insults to Chikatilo, demanding the authorities to release him so that they could execute him on their own. He was found guilty of 52 of the 53 murders and sentenced to death for each offense.

He was executed by firing squad (shot in the back of the head) on February 14, 1994 after Russian president Boris Yeltsin refused a last ditch appeal by Chikatilo for clemency.

Images: [!] Head of a victim, [!] Body of a victim

6. Joachim Kroll, Born 1933 [Crimelibrary]

Kroll was a German serial killer and cannibal. He was known as the Ruhr Cannibal (Ruhrkannibale), and the Duisburg Man-Eater (Duisburger Menschenfresser). He was convicted of eight murders but confessed to a total of 13.

On July 3, 1976, Kroll was arrested for kidnapping and killing a four-year-old girl named Marion Ketter. As police went from home to home, a neighbor approached a policeman and told him that the waste-pipe in his apartment building had blocked up, and when he had asked his neighbor, Kroll, whether he knew what had been blocking the pipe, Kroll had simply replied; “Guts”. Upon this report, the police went up to Kroll’s apartment and found the body of the Ketter girl cut up: some parts were in the fridge, a hand was cooking in a pan of boiling water and the intestines were found stuck in the waste-pipe.

Kroll said that he often sliced portions of flesh from his victims to cook and eat them, claiming that he did this to save on his grocery bills. In custody, he believed that he was going to get a simple operation to cure him of his homicidal urges and would then be released from prison. Instead he was charged with eight murders and one attempted murder. In April 1982, after a 151-day trial, he was convicted on all counts and was given nine life sentences.
He died of a heart attack in 1991 in the prison of Rheinbach, near Bonn.

7. Dennis Rader, Born 1945 [Crimelibrary]

Rader is an American serial killer who murdered at least 10 people in Sedgwick County (in and around Wichita), Kansas, between 1974 and 1991. He was known as the BTK killer (or the BTK strangler), which stands for Bind, Torture and Kill, an apt description of his modus operandi. Letters were written soon after the killings to police and to local news outlets, boasting of the crimes and knowledge of details. After a long hiatus these letters resumed in 2004, leading to his arrest in 2005 and subsequent conviction.

Using personal jargon for his killing equipment, Rader casually described his victims as his “projects” and at one point likened his murders to euthanizing animals by saying he “put them down.” Rader created what he called a “hit kit,” a briefcase or bowling bag containing the items he would use during murders: guns, tape, rope and handcuffs. He also packed what he called “hit clothes” that he would wear for the crimes and then dispose of. Rader bound, tortured, and killed his victims. Rader would strangle his victims until they lost consciousness, then let them revive, then strangle them again. He would repeat the pattern over and over again, forcing them to experience near-death, becoming sexually aroused at the sight of their struggles. Finally, Rader would strangle them to death and masturbate to ejaculation into an article of their clothing, usually underwear.

Rader was particularly known for sending taunting letters to police and newspapers. There were several communications from BTK during 1974 to 1979. The first was a letter that had been stashed in an engineering book in the Wichita Public Library in October 1974 that described in detail the killing of the Otero family in January of that year. In early 1978 he sent another letter to television station KAKE in Wichita claiming responsibility for the murders of the Oteros, Shirley Vian, Nancy Fox and another unidentified victim assumed to be Kathryn Bright. He suggested a number of possible names for himself, including the one that stuck: BTK

A sample of one of his letters:

The victims are tie up-most have been women-phone cut- bring some bondage mater sadist tendencies-no struggle, outside the death spot-no wintness except the Vain’s Kids. They were very lucky; a phone call save them. I was go-ng to tape the boys and put plastics bag over there head like I did Joseph, and Shirley. And then hang the girl. God-oh God what a beautiful sexual relief that would been. Josephine, when I hung her really turn me on; her pleading for mercy then the rope took whole, she helpless; staring at me with wide terror fill eyes the rope getting tighter-tighter.

Rader plead guilty and was sentenced to life in prison – a sentence he is currently still serving.

Images: [!] Bound neck of victim, [!] Body of another victim, [!] Clothed body of bound victim, [!] Bound in grave

8. John Haigh, Born 1909 [Crimelibrary]

John George Haigh (July 24, 1909 — August 10, 1949), the “Acid Bath Murderer”, was a serial killer in England during the 1940s. He was convicted of the murders of six people, although he claimed to have killed a total of nine, dissolving their bodies in sulphuric acid before forging papers in order to sell their possessions and collect substantial sums of money. He acted under the mistaken belief that police needed a body before they could bring a charge of murder. As a consequence, he was convicted through forensic evidence and executed on August 10, 1949.

After hiring rooms in Glouster Road, London, he bumped into an old wealthy boss William McSwann in the Goat pub in Kensington. McSwann introduced Haigh to his parents, Donald and Amy, who mentioned that they had invested in property. On 6 September, 1944, McSwann disappeared. Haigh later said he hit him over the head after luring him into a basement at 79 Gloucester Road, London SW7. He then put McSwann’s body into a 40-gallon drum and tipped sulphuric acid on to it. Two days later he returned to find the body had become sludge, which he poured down a manhole.

He told McSwann’s parents their son had fled to Scotland to avoid being called up for military service. Haigh then took over McSwann’s and when Don and Amy become curious about why their son had not returned after the war was coming to an end, he murdered them too. On July 2, 1945, he lured them to Gloucester Road and disposed of them.

Detectives soon discovered Haigh’s record of theft and fraud and searched the workshop. Police not only found Haigh’s attaché case containing a dry cleaner’s receipt for Mrs Durand-Deacon’s coat, but also papers referring to the Hendersons and McSwanns. Further investigation of the sludge at the workshop by the pathologist Keith Simpson revealed three human gallstones.

It was reported that Haigh, in the condemned cell at Wandsworth Prison, asked one of his jailers, Jack Morwood, whether it would be possible to have a trial run of his hanging so everything would run smoothly. It is likely his request went no further, or, if it did, the request was denied. Whatever the case, Haigh was led to the gallows by Chief Executioner Albert Pierrepoint on August 10, 1949.

9. Javed Iqbal, Born 1956 [Crimelibrary]

Javed Iqbal Mughal (1956?-2001) was a serial killer from Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. He claimed he killed 100 boys during an 18 month period. He had been arrested in June 1998 for sexually abusing 2 boys for money. He went off on bail, and began murdering boys shortly afterwards. Iqbal found boys on the street, charmed them into his confidence, and then drugged, raped, and strangled them. He then cut the body into pieces and put them in a vat filled with hydrochloric acid. Once all of the remains were liquified, he dumped them. He first used the sewer, until neighbors complained of an acrid stench. He then decided to use the Ravi River. The partially liquified remains of two boys, one of whom was named Ijaz, were the only ones found of Iqbal’s victims. He kept the rest in an acid drum outside his house. He also kept clothing and shoes as trophies of his crimes. When he got to his fiftieth victim, he started taking pictures of them.

No one had noticed the disappearance of the boys that Iqbal killed. Iqbal claimed that he could have killed 500 if he had wanted to. He reportedly said “I am Javed Iqbal, killer of 100 children … I hate this world, I am not ashamed of my action and I am ready to die. I have no regrets. I killed 100 children.”

From a letter written by Iqbal:

“I had sexually assaulted 100 children before killing them,” read the first placard. “All the details of the murders are contained in the diary and the 32-page notebook that have been placed in the room and had also been sent to the authorities. This is my confessional statement.”

Iqbal was sentenced to death by hanging, although the judge said he would have liked Iqbal to be strangled 100 times, cut into 100 pieces, and put him in acid. Before this sentence could be carried out, he was found strangled with his bed sheets in his prison cell on October 7, 2001. One of his accomplices, Sajid, was also strangled. Pakistani authorities say that the men committed suicide. Another accomplice had previously fallen to his death from a CIA window.

10. Ted Bundy, Born 1946 [Crimelibrary]

heodore Robert ‘Ted’ Bundy (November 24, 1946 – January 24, 1989) is one of the most infamous serial killers in U.S. history. Bundy raped and murdered scores of young women across the United States between 1974 and 1978. After more than a decade of vigorous denials, Bundy eventually confessed to 30 murders, although the actual total of victims remains unknown. Typically, Bundy would rape then murder his victims by bludgeoning, and sometimes by strangulation. He also engaged in necrophilia.

He would approach a potential victim in a public place, even in daylight or in a crowd, as when he abducted Ott and Naslund at Lake Sammamish or when he kidnapped Leach from her school. Bundy had various ways of gaining a victim’s trust. Sometimes, he would feign injury, wearing his arm in a sling or wearing a fake cast, as in the murders of Hawkins, Rancourt, Ott, Naslund, and Cunningham. At other times Bundy would impersonate an authority figure; he pretended to be a policeman when approaching Carol DaRonch. The day before he killed Kimberly Leach, Bundy approached another young Florida girl pretending to be “Richard Burton, Fire Department,” but left hurriedly after her older brother arrived.

After luring a victim to his car, Bundy would hit her in the head with a crowbar he had placed underneath his Volkswagen or hidden inside it. Every recovered skull, except for that of Kimberly Leach, showed signs of blunt force trauma. Bundy often would drink alcohol prior to finding a victim.

On death row, Bundy admitted to decapitating at least a dozen of his victims with a hacksaw. He kept the severed heads later found on Taylor Mountain in his room or apartment for some time before finally disposing of them. Bundy also confessed to visiting his victims’ bodies over and over again at the Taylor Mountain body dump site. He stated that he would lie with them for hours, applying makeup to their corpses and having sex with their decomposing bodies until putrefaction forced him to abandon the remains.

Despite having five court-appointed lawyers, he insisted on acting as his own attorney and even cross-examined witnesses, including the police officer who had discovered Margaret Bowman’s body. The Judge, when passing sentence said:

“It is ordered that you be put to death by a current of electricity, that current be passed through your body until you are dead. Take care of yourself, young man. I say that to you sincerely; take care of yourself, please. It is an utter tragedy for this court to see such a total waste of humanity as I’ve experienced in this courtroom. You’re an intelligent young man. You’d have made a good lawyer, and I would have loved to have you practice in front of me, but you went another way, partner. Take care of yourself. I don’t feel any animosity toward you. I want you to know that. Once again, take care of yourself.”

Bundy was executed in the Electric Chair at 7:06 a.m. local time on January 24, 1989. His last words were “I’d like you to give my love to my family and friends.”

Images: [!] Head of a victim, [!] Another victim, [!] Bundy after his execution

Notable mentions: John Wayne Gacy, David Berkowitz, Herman MudgettSerial Killers

On this page you will find some basic information on the charachteristics, and motives of a serial killer.
I will also be listing some of the most prolific serial killers, and the methods they used to kill thier victims.
I will be adding to this list frequently. What can I say?…To many serial killers…to little time! So come back often for updates, and enjoy!

Charachteristics of a Serial Killer.

Kills are seperate, often escalating over a period of time, sometimes years, and will continue until the killer is taken into custody, or dies.

Killing tends to be one on one. Although there have been instances where a serial killer has killed more than one at a time.

There is no (or very little) connection between the perpitrator and the victim.

Although there may be a “pattern” or “victim trait”, individual murders with in a series rarely display a clearly defined or rational motive.

Motives of a Serial Killer.

Visionaries: Acts in responce to voices and is instructed by these voices to perform the act of murder. These killers are usually schitzophrenic and psycotic.

Missionaries: They think it is their responsibility to rid society of unwanted elements.

Hedontist: Kill because murder causes them pleasure.

Lust Killers: Kills for sexual gratification with acts that are usually sadistic.

Thrill Killers: Kill for a desire for a thrill or experience.

Gain Killers: Kills for personal gain. The killer premeditates the act to require financial gain or materialistic goods.

Power Seekers: Kills for the desire to have control over the life and death of others.

The Serial Killers.

Ed Gien: Kills 2+
Ed Gein grew up with a dominating mother. When she died he masterbated over her dead body. This is where it all started. Ed Gein participated in grave robbing and a strange type of transvestite necrophilia. He would carve out the genitalia of female cadavers and wear them over his own. Ed Gein found uses for all parts of the anatomy. He had a belt made of nipples, a skin vest that he would wear, mobiles made out of noses, skulls on his bed posts, cranial bowls for soup, drums made out of skin, etc…Although Gein was only linked to 2 murders (although linked to many more) few other serial killers lived up to the same degree of wierdness.

Jeffrey Dahmer: Kills 17
As a kid, Dahmer liked to torture and kill little animals. As an adult he did the same to humans. He would lure gay, black men to his apartment, kill them, and have them for dinner. He would have sex with the corpses (and always wore a condom). He enjoyed sex with the dead better because they couldn’t get up and leave. He would experiment with different ways of disposing of his victims remains. When captured police found three dissolving bodies in fifty-five gallon acid vats in the bathroom. They also found four severed heads, seven skulls, skeletons in the closet, and a penis in a lobster pot. They also found a heart in the freezer. Dahmer was ironically murdered in prison by another inmate. His brain was preserved, at the request of his mother, for future study.

John Wayne Gacy: Kills 33
This sadistic child molester liked to entertain boys privately in a very different fashion. A typical organized killer, he had all aspects of the murder worked out before each kill. Once he entered his murderous fantasy, he would let loose. He enjoyed hand cuffing his victims, anally raping them, beating them to a pulp, reciting verses from the bible, and then strangling them to death. Thirty bodies were found burned in the crawl space underneath his house. In prison, John started a new career as an artist, painting mostly colorful clown pictures, which have been shown in galleries nationwide. He was executed by lethal injection in 1994.

Ted Bundy: Kills 22+
The posterboy of the serial killer community. He was handsome, charming, and deadlier than a rattlesnake. This law student and Young Republican liked to wear an arm sling to appear vulnerable, and to get woman to help him with his grocieries. He favored killing pretty, dark-haired, cheerleader types. He would rape and bludgeon them to death. He was also fond of biting them. The bite marks on one of his victims was used as evidence against him at his trial. Bundy was fried by the state of Florida in 1989.

Zodiac Killer: Kills 37+
The elusive Zodiac is the most prolific killer in California. The Zodiac, a killer obssessed with publicity, sent twenty-one letters to various news papers boasting of his crimes. He obtained his astral moniker after he scribbled zodiac signs around several of his crime scenes. He started his killing spree in 1966 and faded around 1974. The survivors from his attacks have described him as a heavy set man with glasses, and red hair. In one of his letters he explained that he killed “because it is so much fun”. His master plan was to collect “slaves for the afterlife”. Now some believe that Zodiac moved to New York where he continues with his deadly forays.

Albert DeSalvo (The Boston Strangler): Kills 13
The Boston Strangler began murdering in 1962. At first he only killed elderly woman. He would rape and strangle them. Sometimes he would shove foriegn objects like bottles or broomsticks into the womans vagina. He would always leave a “signiture” at the murder scene. His “signiture” was tying a stocking or ribbon (the murder weapon) around the womans neck. Towards the end of 1962 he began preying on young woman. These new victims lead to new methods of murder. In one instance he stabbed a woman two dozen times. DeSalvo was sent to a mental institution for a short period. He was institutionalized for all of the rapes he committed NOT the murders. While in the mental institution he bragged about the murders. It was then that authorities realized who DeSalvo really was. DeSalvo was never convicted of the murders. He was given a life sentance for the rapes. In 1973 he was stabbed to death by a fellow inmate.

Jack the Ripper: Kills 5
Jack the Ripper is one of the most infamous killers of all time. The murders began in 1888, in the Whitechappel section of London. Murders here were not uncommon. It was the brutallity of these murders that brought it attention. A prostitute named Mary Ann Nicholis was found butchered. Her body was left lying in the gutter. Her throat had been slashed, nearly severing her head. A slash through her stomach and vagina had been mutilated. The next body was found about a week later. Her head was almost completly severed and she was evicerated. A while later police recieved a letter bragging about the murders, it was signed “Jack the Ripper”. A few weeks later Jack had a committed a double murder. His first victim had her throat slashed, yet Jack was frightened away by an oncomming wagon. Later that night he captured another prostitute. He slashed her throat, slit her from froin to breast bone, removed her organs, and took her kidney. His last murder was the most grisly of all. Jack encountered yet another prostitute and she brought him home. In the bed he slashed her throat, cut off her nose, removed her breasts, evicerated her, and carved flesh off of her legs. Jacks murders ended there, he was never heard of again. He was never caught.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s